Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Craft Week: Vintage Ornament Wreath



Christmas Craft Week is back! The first project is probably also my favorite. If you follow me on Instagram (erikamadeit) you've gotten a sneak peek!  I've been OBSESSED with Georgia Peachez  and her fabulous vintage ornament wreaths forever. I mean they are the best thing ever. But I could never get my hands on one, so this year my Mother-in law and I decided to make our own.

I've been collecting for the past year from some rummage sales, but haven't hit the jackpot yet. Yard sales seems to mainly have baby stuff, nothing old enough to be fun. But then we hit the motherload in Grandma's attic! She has some that were her Aunt's... extra large ones, small ones in the shiny brite boxes, some had paint that were all peeled away. I also scored some at the local antique center, along with the santas, elves and reindeer.



We watched the video tutorial from  Retro Renovation about a million times and were ready to go! OMG it is not as easy as it looks in the video. I had a burn blister after about 30 seconds. The hardest part is the beginning base of ornaments around. I couldn't do it but luckily my Mother in Law got the hang of it. You have to glue the ornaments to each other otherwise they don't stick to the tinsel garland.



After you get the base done then it becomes much easier. You figure out where to put the non ornaments (santa, reindeer with elves, and little girl for me and elves on a ladder, 2 reindeer for MIL), glue them done and then arrange the ornaments around them. We used the 14" green wreath rounds, and they look bigger than Geogia Peachez, mine ended up at 22" across!




We were surprised about how good they came out! They are definitely Georgia Peachez worthy! We spent the whole day doing this from 10am and finished at 7pm (organizing, shopping for the wreath supplies and chunky garland and lunch included). It was exhausting and my fingers are still paying the price. BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT. It would probably been cheaper to buy one of the OG wreaths, but it was very satisfying and fun making our own.









My wreath now lives on the door to the Florida room. I'm so in love with it. I attached it to the door with one of those magnetic wreath holders. It seems pretty secure, but I'm paranoid it will break. The first thing I did this morning was check out it, yup still there, still gorgeous. I can't wait to make more!

See you tomorrow with another Christmas craft! Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. That is GORGEOUS and you did a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! You did such a fantastic job making this. It completely looks like a Georgia Peachez original! So worth the collateral finger damage. ;)

    In other news...that painting that hangs on the same wall is amazing. Tell me those exist for sale somewhere, because I am so filled with painting envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS!
      I think i bought them (theres another similar one) on MYHABIT. they are from the saturday evening post.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you did a FABULOUS job! And wasn't it the funnest day ever! Gorgeous ornies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful!!!! I see why you wanted to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! My mom has a bunch of old ornaments that were my grandma's. Although I doubt she'd be willing to part with them to make a wreath. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just stunning, great job - even better than the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! And now I have an idea for some of my vintage ornaments that are missing their tops or that I have many duplicates of. Most of the vintage ones are displayed prominently on two Christmas trees but there are many more that I cannot part with.

    ReplyDelete