Saturday, July 4, 2015

Plaid Crop Top: Butterick 5895

Happy Independence Day! 


I needed something cute to wear to celebrate, and I've been eyeing up this crinkle cotton plaid at Fabricland for a while so a patriotic crop top was in order! The top is Butterick 5895, one of the Patterns by Gertie. 

I didn't make a muslin for this one, just some paper pattern fitting. The only change I made was to lengthen it about 1.5". Otherwise it would have been obscenely cropped.  The pattern does not have a lengthen or shorten line, so I added the length just under the french darts. Right now it hits just at my natural waist, so it goes perfectly with my Freddie's of Pinewood Jeans! 


The top comes together super quickly, there is no separate collar. It's one piece with the bodice and created with a dart and the facing. The trickiest part is getting the facing in the right place. The directions could have been a little clearer with better pictures. Since I lengthened it I added an extra button, and to make it extra patriotic, alternating red and blue buttons! 



To match up the plaid i was just careful cutting it out and matched up the corresponding notches on the same color stripe. I'm not that confident matching plaid, but it matches on the shoulder seams as well as the back. The side seams aren't matched up because the french seam kind of ruins it. 



This was a super fun make and a perfect addition to my summer wardrobe. To further celebrate the Fourth, I have American flag nail polish and I made some patriotic wreaths! It's gaudy and I love it. Tonight I am heading down to the beach with my family to watch the fireworks! 


Pin It Now!

2 comments: