Friday, May 18, 2012

Mother's Day Taffy Blouse



For Mother's day this year, I knew I had to make my Mom a Taffy blouse from Colette Sewing Handbook. I had this stain glass silk chiffon fabric from Mood in NYC, which is perfect for the bias cut of the blouse. The Coletterie suggests Sullivan's spray to spray the chiffon, which makes it easier to sew, cut the pieces on the bias, and then hung the pieces overnight to make sure the bias was stretched. I used french seams just like the book suggests, and bias trim on the neckline. For the sleeves and bottom hem I used the rolled hem on the serger, which made the ends curl, and have a more flowy feel.

I cut a straight size 6, but added some length to the body, because I know she has a longer torso. Thankfully the length and fit is perfect! Love you Mom!




Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. This is just lovely :)
    Your Mum look very glamorous!
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom looks fantastic! What a great mother's day present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom is incredible (hot)! The blouse looks beautiful -- so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! My Mom loves your comments! She's is going around saying how glamorous and hot she is. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erika - this is so awesome - you did a great job in everything from the fabric selection to the fit. I'm wondering - what did you use for the bias binding with such a lightweight chiffon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I used just the normal kind from the fabric store, the coats and clark, it worked out fine.

      Delete
  6. This is so pretty - what a fantastic gift!

    ReplyDelete