Friday, June 5, 2015

Fruit Dress: Vintage Simplicity 2507

























This dress has all my favorite things in it, rick rack, fruit prints, and spinning ability. So obviously its amazing. I needed a dress for a fashion show for the class I've been teaching since January, Project Fabricland. It's a Project Runway inspired competition for students ages 10-18. They each had to design and sew an outfit inspired by a dessert.  


My class with Sonjia Williams fro Project Runway All Stars

The dress is a vintage pattern, Simplicity 2507, but with a gathered skirt. I was afraid the fruit print was going to look weird with the paneled skirt. Plus vintage patterns are so long and I didn't feel like chopping off a million inches. I had to make the bodice bigger, and do a fba. So it was stupid to even buy the pattern I could have just copied the picture. Whatever. I seem to snatch up any vintage pattern that has an opportunity for rick rack.


The fruit print is a quilt weight cotton, as soon as it came off the UPS truck at work, I knew I had to have it. I love love love a fruit print, but I am very particular about it. I don't like it when they look lifelike, they have to look vintage kitschy. I snatched up four yards for this dress, and ended up needing more. I made the skirt SUPER gathered. Its four panels of the fabric 45" wide. It's excessive, but makes for great twirling. 



This print looks like a picnic, so the gingham rick rack was a must. I also made deep patch pockets, to fit my iphone, and because pockets are a place to put MORE rick rack. I was planning on putting rick rack on the hem, but I stopped myself. So now I have 5 extra yards of black gingham rick rack.





I bodice is a skosh too big, and about a quarter of an inch too long, but I think the skirt is heavy and pulling it down. I also made a big hem, because I love they way it looks, its about 4.5".  If you follow me on Instagram, you have seen my watermelon shoes I bought a few days before this fabric came in, making a match made in heaven! 







Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. This is so gorgeous! I love the rick rack embellishment and I'm going to have to get over to the store and get me some! Perfect summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I love a good fruit print too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fruit is the best, so happy looking

      Delete
  3. This is so cute. I love everything about your ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing this in person. So.... fruity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great dress and I felt very lucky to meet you and see it in person. I remember seeing a preview of the Rick rack on Instagram. I'm sure you'll find somewhere to use another 5 yards of it. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I do have some plans for it! I was lucky to meet you! You are so sweet

      Delete
  6. So cute. I love the ric rac around the neckline! And 180" of skirt - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely. Love the fruity print and matching shoes combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so summery looking - fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so sweet it it was for sale I would buy it in a heart

    ReplyDelete