Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Embroidered Cambie Dress


If you follow me on Instagram (which you totally should btw) you would have seen a sneak peek of this dress probably over 2 months ago when I finished it. I was SO happy with how it turned out, the fabric is perfect, the back was matching up and the fit was pretty spot on. And then the day came when I had to wear it for a special event... And the zipper broke, while I was putting it on. I may have had a total meltdown, and put it aside for weeks until I could mentally face the zipper again.  Anytime a dress has a waistband and a gathered skirt it does the invisible zipper gives me a hard time.




Anyway, this is my second Sewaholic Cambie dress. The first version I made was out of the Kokka fabric, and I made the A-line skirt. I tweaked the fit a little for this one, raising the neckline, and making a new sweetheart shape. 

The fabric is this crazy cute. It's an magenta embroidered cotton on a black background, made in Italy that I bought at Fabricland. We only got a small amount of this beauty, so I quickly snatched up 3 yards. We sold out out of it the next day! The skirt I gathered on the crossgrain to take advantage of the edge of the embroidery. I carefully zig-zagged around the flowers on the bottom and cut away the excess black for my hem. The whole thing is lined in black Robert Kaufman savannah cotton, I love this stuff for linings, it's SO soft and not too expensive. 

I wore this dress to the Project Fabricland fashion snow, and it was a big hit! I even made a hat to match it since some of the students participated in a Head to Hem challenge. I'll show you my hat later this week! 







Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. This is the most gorgeous Cambie I´ve ever seen! You look beautiful on this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and the fabric is amazing! You know you can always insert a regular zipper by hand which helps with getting all the pieces to match up in the back. Sorry I missed this one in action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I've been meaning to pick up the cambie dress pattern for awhile and this might have finally made me throw it in the shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely dress! You've just inspired me to get around to making a Cambie! I've had the pattern since Christmas but the weather hasn't been warm enough to make it. Will hopefully get it cut out this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! It's really a perfect dress, that fabric is gorgeous and I love the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is so amazing!! The fabric is definitely the star, and it looks so good on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous dress. The color is fantastic and looks wonderful on you. I love how chic a dress looks with special, lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doing a bit of Cabie-research and saw yours up online. It's just lovely; I adore the fabric you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could look at your sexy ass all day

    ReplyDelete