Monday, December 31, 2012

Vintage Robe for Mom: Butterick 9214


Hope everyone is having a fabulous holiday! It's been very busy around these parts, but I did manage to make my Mom a Christmas present; this glamorous robe! The pattern is Butterick 9214 from 1959. I have been searching for this pattern of a little while, I love the elegance of it. I especially like how the ties are attached at the side seams.

The fabric is an off white velour from JoAnn's, which worked out well and has a nice drape for the robe. This project came together rather quickly, it was very easy to follow. My fabric was too thick to gather it at the waist as instructed, so I made pleats instead.  I also had to draft a pattern piece for the back facing, and I still finished it just in time for Christmas Eve!

I used bias trim for the seam finishing, in a contrasting red color. It makes for a very festive interior! Obviously my Mom loves it, she feels very chic in it. Its very important to be glamorous while lounging on the couch.  We had fun taking pictures with my marabou feather slippers and her crystal champagne glass, this robe requires a cocktail. 












All the best in the New Year!
Happy 2013 Everyone!
Pin It Now!

13 comments:

  1. I've made this one and I wear it everyday. Your Mom is a lucky Gal! I love your version which might prompt me to make a new one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am addicted to robes, you should make another one!

      Delete
  2. Barbara Stanwyck wears a robe almost identical to yours in Witness to Murder. I love the ties attached at the side seams too. Here's a blurry screen capture - http://maryquitecontrary.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Screen-Shot-2012-11-22-at-8.22.50-PM.png I've been wanting one ever since I saw the movie, but hadn't found a pattern. I'm glad you posted this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG it's identical! Thanks for sharing.. I gotta show this to my Mom

      Delete
  3. What a lucky mom. Gorgeous pattern and you did a lovely, lovely job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to make one for myself

      Delete
  4. It's lovely! Your mom is a very lucky lady :-)

    Happy New Year, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That robe is fabulous - she is very lucky to have such a great selfless daughter!! I love how the robe ties up, what a great detail, much nicer than the belt that normally goes with robes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA selfless! Can't wait to tell her that, I also love that feature. Then they won't get all tangled in the laundry

      Delete
  6. How lovely! It looks like your mom thoroughly enjoyed wearing it, and being photographed in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. she looks so sexy in those sexy slippers

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your glamorous mom! its hard to find these 1950 dressy housecoats. Great job!

    ReplyDelete