Friday, March 9, 2012

Starlet Suit Jacket Update: Tailoring

Happy Friday! I've been hard at work on my Starlet Suit Jacket. I'm already on chapter 8 out of 13. I've taken lots of pictures on my progress, so many of you were curious about the craftsy course. Here is what I have done so far.



I learned a new way to make bound buttonholes, so much easier and comes out much better than the old way I was doing them.
They look like bow tie pasta from the back
Padstitching and twill tape on the lapel, steamed and drying over a hand towel

Padstitching
What a difference the padstitching and steaming makes, the lapel make a nice curve now.

The undercollar with padstitching

ready for steam on the ham
The padstitching works and the collar will curl around the neck



Welt pocket! Another new skill for me. It was a bit confusing at first, but the second one came together easily
Shoulder seams and sides together, looks like a jacket now

I love the nipped-in waist

back stay out of muslin

Inside of the welt pocket
 Yesterday I started working on the sleeves, the dart looks great. I am having a problem with the easing. I have used this method before on my houndstooth coat, but it just wasn't working, it was eased far too little. I have to go back and pin, pin, pin to ease it. Sometimes it's best to walk away when I get frustrated. That's it for now, maybe if I'm lucky I can have it done for St. Patty's Day.

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Erika, this is looking AMAZING!! Aaah, I'm so jealous. I NEED to do this class. I love the fabric you chose and the pocket lining is just tooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Looks like you've mastered the bound buttonhole and the welt pocket. Just discovered your blog
    Samina
    American Sewing Guild

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful work! This will be so lovely when completed. Your fabric selections are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have really gone full steam ahead! Really nice work, and thank you for showing the pictures in progress: I have a feeling I'll be referring back to them when I get further along in the course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I'll keep taking more pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!!! I'm thinking of sewing a jacket this year and you are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic job! Looking forward to see the progress... Can't wait to take the class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you share fantastic work with us. I like this all pix for explanation. Its wonderful suit jacket with nice design and fabric. You have done great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking gorgeous! I'm still head over heels for the colour of your fabric. Can't wait to see the finished thing - seems like you're flying through the course!

    ReplyDelete