Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Christmas Dress: Vintage Butterick 9566


 Oh hello there. I'm back with another holiday dress. That's all I seem to post lately. This dress is the dresss of my Christmas dreams. I fell in love with the fabric at Fabricland and snatched up a few yards of it. It was on a mysterious bolt, and seems to be a vintage repro fabric. It is a very light quilt weight cotton, 45" wide. Fabricland also happened to have rick rack and buttons that perfectly match so score.

I wanted to make something vintage looking to go with the dress, but the subtle stripes kept me from choosing anything with princess seams. Then I remembered Butterick 9566 in my stash, and did a quick fba and muslin. The bust darts were very pointy, so I angled them down to make a french dart instead which worked much better for me. 

I made the dress a little differently than the directions, mainly because I didn't want to deal with the opening in the front of the skirt. So I made an invisible zipper in the back, and the bodice is just attached to the front so the whole thing doesn't hang open. The skirt is also from a modern pattern because I need to be able to move in this dress and didn't want to deal with all the fabric. The bodice is underlined in yellow, which makes the unusual color stripes pop a bit more, and the skirt is lined with the same. 

I think I look like I belong in one of my favorite Christmas movies; Pee Wee's Christmas Special, which is now streaming on netflix. Miss Yvonne and Annette Funicello have such great costumes in this movie!





Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! 
Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. Love your dress and your perfectly matched green ric rac trim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric is so retro! Neat idea adding the zip at the back. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT DRESS. these holiday fabric'd dresses are killing me! i'm assuming the fabric store is closed today.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! And the modified skirt works perfect. The pattern looks like the 60s to me.You did a great job!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful every one of the one shading or in planning textures and trim.in Style Polka dot dress

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ome of those looks are exemplary and have never extremely gone totally out of style. In reality, an all around custom fitted dress that fits well is never out of style. 1950s dresses

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret instructs calm accomplishing business ladies more than 40 on present day dressing aptitudes .mermaidaqua swim tails

    ReplyDelete