Monday, October 7, 2013

Pencil Pencil Skirt

 I found this tiny vintage remnant of a cotton pencil print, only 3/4 of a yard. I loved the print but it was too small to make much out of clothing wise.  Then I had the idea to make side panels and the pencil. pencil skirt was born. 

For the base of this pattern I used the skirt from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. I made it up in orange last year, so I knew it would work. After that I used a hip curve ruler to make a pattern for a black panels on the sides of the front and back. I used a red rayon bemberg for the lining, I love a surprise on the inside of garments. 

I also tried a couture method on the waistband, found from sew daily. I used hair canvas and organza to sew channels to stabilize and the facing is covered in red ribbon. It definitely makes a waistband that does not curl under and was rather comfortable at work all day. It was fun to do, but mine did not look nearly as neat as the picture! 












Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute:) how ironic

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this pattern is awesome.
    I am going to make a few other versions of it as well!

    I like this version too and I find the pencil print so cool!

    ReplyDelete