Friday, April 27, 2012

Purple Dress : Butterick 6582


Last week I posted about the unflattering dress I made, which I turned into a new creation, retro butterick pattern 6582. I kept the skirt from the vintage pattern and married it to the new/retro pattern, using view c. It has a faux front wrap and gathered shoulders. I had to move the zipper form the center back to the side to accommodate the skirt which already had an opening on the side.

The fabric is a silk and rayon crepe blend. It is very lightweight, and very mailable. It was a challenge to get it to stay the same shape after I cut it. The skirt was the perfect opportunity to use french seams, and make a clean look. The fabric is very sheer, so I interlined it with the same fabric. Interlining it with the same fabric, made it easier to sew, rather than trying to force the silk to fit another type of interlining fabric (which is what I tried to do with the first dress). I hemmed it using the serger rolled hem, which was very easy to do, and looks great for this flowy skirt.  

The belt is a great detail at the waist, and the matching belt is the perfect vintage accessory. This belt was custom made for me at Pat's Custom Buttons and Belts. I love this service so much! I'm wearing this dress with my layer cake crinoline, which so cute. The only problem with wearing a crinoline this fun, is the desire to lift up my skirt!





Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. gorgeous color and so flattering to your figure and your coloring.
    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the faux wrap bodice and the matching belt, and am surprised by how flattering that color is! This dress looks great on you - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo LOVE the pink flash !! Gorgeous ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. She shoots . . . she scores! Excellent save, Erika! I really love those double darts - they look so fancy! And I think you should walk over a lot of vents, if possible, so the air can blow up your skirt and show your awesome crinoline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. brilliant save. you look gorgeous in it and it is oh so flattering :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty on u! U wear it really well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic way to salvage the original dress! It looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the dress, you look so great in it, very hot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay it looks good!! After reading a couple of bad reviews on Pr for this pattern I was beginning to get demotivated but this looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous!!! I think you need a big retro pin or some big groovy bracelets to go with it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are simply adorable! And your dressmaking skills are excellent too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful smile, love your outfit. U are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I want to come on that dress

    ReplyDelete