Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gingham Ceylon


Another Ceylon for me! Ceylon may be my favorite Colette Patterns. For this version I used a cotton gingham, from Mood. I modified the pattern a little bit. I omitted the curve at the neckline, didn't add sleeves and attached a wide sash at the waist.

I wanted to make a dress that looked like this Milly dress, which I saw in InStyle magazine (it looked cuter in the magazine).

I finished the sleeves with a little bit of white bias tape. To make the straight neckline I just cut piece c in a straight line from the marking dot. The sashes are extra long so they can be tied in different ways. This is a really great dress for a hot summer day, it makes me want to eat peaches!




Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. So, so cute! Throw on some sparkly red shoes and you could be a tres chic incarnation of Dorothy. I love it. :D

    I haven't made a Ceylon yet, because it feels like a Fall/Winter dress to me, which doesn't work so well in Texas. Your sleeveless version is inspired, however. I feel one of these coming in my near sewing future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely on you, so cherry and perfect of summer!

    Made me smile seeing how happy you are.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love this dress! Looks great on you.
    Pamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just come over from the Colette forum to say how much I like your version of the Ceylon dress. I love gingham anyway, but it goes especially well with that pattern. Removing the sleeves gives it a totally different look, it's beautiful. You look wonderful in it too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. E: It looks great on you - I particularly like the fit in the bust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! It suits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun dress! I love how you take a whimsical fabric like polkadots or gingham, and make it into a grown up dress.

    ReplyDelete